date posted: 01-07-2014


It’s hard to believe we are already half way through 2014, it seems like only yesterday we were publishing the first newsletter of the year. This shows what a busy year it has been so far!

Following on from last months exciting news of becoming Professional Passport accredited we are currently working towards some more exciting news and will hopefully be able to share this with you very soon. It's never ending here at Sterling!




We are pleased to inform you that we now have a jobs board! The jobs board went live on our website this month and currently has around 19,000 jobs across all industries!

Ensuring we have a jobs board available to our contractors is just another way we are enhancing the service we provide to you. Again we have listened to your feedback and want to do what we can to support you should you find yourself out of work or looking to switch assignments.

So if you are looking for a new assignment, then take a look out our jobs board here. You can also access it at any time via our website.



By claiming business related expenses you could increase your take home pay.

- Can you answer yes to any of the following questions?
- Do you travel to and from work?
- Are you out of the house for more than 5 or 10 hours for your working day and you purchase food and drink during this time?
- Do you have to pay for temporary accommodation whilst working away from your main residence?
- Do you incur any other business related expenses, such as PPE?

If you can answer yes to any of the above you may be able to claim for the following:

- Travel to and from work and between sites either via a mileage rate or reimbursement of public transport costs.
- Subsistence of £5 or £10 per day depending on the amount of time you are out of the house.
- Temporary accommodation & personal incidental expenses
- Other business related expenses.

You will need to complete a Sterling Umbrella expenses form each week and submit the form along with the required receipts to Sterling Umbrella at least two days prior to your payment being made. Only expenses wholly, necessarily and exclusively made in the performance of your duties can be paid.

There is an expenses guide here to assist you with any questions, if you require anything further or require any expenses forms please contact us on 01925 626 200 or visit





What do you do at Sterling?
I am the Payroll Supervisor at Sterling which is a new promotion and I have been with Sterling for nearly ten years. I am responsible for Supervising the Expenses Team. I am also responsible for the distribution expenses, processing expenses, managing the queries and compliance checks. I also manage a portfolio of agencies and this involves invoicing and paying, processing holiday and sick pay and completing paperwork and pay queries.

What is a typical day like?
A typical day for me will start with working through my emails until I am handed lots and lots of expenses to distribute. I will then work my way through the supply of expense forms, look into queries and complete my payroll duties. It’s a busy day but an enjoyable one.

What’s the best thing about working at Sterling?

There are lots of good things about working for Sterling. There are the wonderful benefits and incentives, our legendary Christmas parties and our team nights out, our drinks machines that offer us free cuppas all day, but the best thing would be the people I work with.

What do you do when you’re not at work?

I am a simple man with simple pleasures. Food, drink, sleep, TV and playing football pretty much cover it. I do the occasional reading, gaming and exercising. Unfortunately, a lot of my time is also made up of cooking, cleaning and other boring housework.




For those self-employed contractors who due to their tax liability for 2012/13 had to make payments on account for 2013/14, the second payment is due by 31st July 2014.

An individual becomes subject to the payments on account regime if their final tax liability outstanding is more than £1000 and their amounts deducted at source were less than 80% of their total tax liability.

If you would like any assistance in completing your tax returns or further information regarding payment on account then get into contact with our preferred accounts AGP. They have a wealth of experience in the contracting industry and will be happy to assist you. You can contact them on 01925 418386 or visit



In our April eNewsletter we provided you with some key bits of information regarding our expense procedure which covered how you go about claiming and what we require from you and when. If you need to refresh yourself you can view it here.

In this edition we’re reminding you about exactly what you can claim…

Mileage between a temporary workplace and home or lodgings can be claimed on various types of transport including any motor vehicle and bicycle.
Mileage allowance for cars and vans is paid at a higher rate for the first 10,000 miles travelled and at a lower rate above 10,000 miles. This is currently 45p per mile and 25p per mile.

Further transport costs
Expenses for other transport costs to get to and from a temporary workplace, or travel during the working day, can be claimed. These include ferry costs, bus tickets, taxi fares, train and tube tickets, parking costs, plane tickets, toll charges and congestion charges.

Accommodation expenses incurred when working away from a main residence can be claimed. This includes short term accommodation in hotels, B&B’s or lodgings.

When staying away from home overnight for work purposes, the cost of an evening meal and non-alcoholic refreshments can be claimed.

Personal incidental expenses
When working away from home £5 per night is allowable to cover incidental expenses e.g. newspapers, laundry and home telephone calls. If working outside the UK this allowance is £10 per night.

For food and non-alcoholic drink costs consumed within the working day.
1. The 5 hour rate
If away from home, or normal place of work, for at least 5 hours and in that time you have incurred a cost for a meal, a rate of £5 may be claimed per day.
2. The 10 hour rate
If away from home, or normal place of work, for at least 10 hours in any given 24 hours and in that time you have incurred a cost for meals, a rate of £10 may be claimed per day.

Expenses can be claimed for tools purchased as long as the tools are of an industrial nature and are used solely for work.

Protective and safety wear
Expenses related to Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) such as safety boots, safety hats and visibility jackets can be claimed for.

Professional fees and courses
Any courses attended related to a job role may be claimed. The course must be attended during employment with Sterling Umbrella.

Mobile phone calls
Employees are able to claim for calls made from a mobile phone for work purposes. In order to make a claim, itemised business calls should be highlighted and the original bill (not a photocopy) should be sent to Sterling Umbrella. Unfortunately calls made from Pay as You Go mobiles cannot be claimed. The cost of line rental or the handset is not an allowable expense.

Please note: VAT receipts are required for all claims. Further details are available on our Guide to claiming business related expenses.

Not found what you are looking for?

Contact Customer Services on 01925 626200 or email or you may wish to look on the about us page.