WELCOME TO THE APRIL EDITION OF THE STERLING E-NEWSLETTER
As you can imagine April has been very challenging time for Sterling due to the recent legislation changes regarding false self-employment. We are proud to say we have risen to this challenge which is testament to the compliant service we have offered and can confidently state that we continue to offer.
April has also seen Sterling complete their 15th year of trading, this again in itself demonstrates the strength of the company and the high levels of service we are able to provide.
We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your loyalty through the current changes, and we look forward to be able to continue to offer you great service through all of our routes.
To celebrate our 15th year of trading, 15 lucky contractors who were quick to like or follow one of our Social pages earned themselves an Easter egg just in time for Easter! And one of these 15 was selected at random to receive £350 vouchers of their choice. This was Stuart Gillan from Manchester, congratulations Stuart and happy spending!
STATEMENT OF EARNINGS AND P60's ARE ON THEIR WAY...
Sterling Umbrella employees can expect to receive their P60’s anytime now. All P60’s are in the process of being generated and will be sent to you this week.
Sterling CIS & Sterling Techserv contractors; your statement of earnings are also being generated and you too can expect to receive these this week.
MEET THE TEAM: SAMANTHA RUSSELL – AGENCY ACCOUNT MANAGER
What do you do at Sterling?
I work within the Sales Team, my main role is to maintain and grow business with new and existing clients, I also have a portfolio of key accounts to manage. My other responsibilities would be dealing with inbound and outbound Sales calls, I also monitor my performance by weekly statistics and arrange client visits.
What is a typical day like?
A typical day in the Sales department is challenging and varies from day to day, with a variety of different tasks to complete, my day also consists of liaising with agency’s to ensure they have all the relevant Sterling details required to get the candidates paid on time. I make daily Sales calls to maintain and grow business with my portfolio of key accounts.
What’s the best thing about working at Sterling?
I have worked at Sterling for 10 years and I love my job , I have great relationships with all my colleagues, Sterling is a rewarding company to work for and hard work doesn’t go unnoticed , I have great knowledge of the company inside and out which helps me build good relationships with clients and contractors.
What do you do when you’re not at work?
I enjoy going to the gym and socialising with friends and family.
WELL DONE HAYLEY & REBECCA
Congratulations to two of our staff members; Hayley Jones and Rebecca Beggs who have recently completed their professional studies to become qualified CIMA accountants.
STERLING UMBRELLA & EXPENSES
For all those who have recently joined Sterling Umbrella we thought we’d give you a brief overview on our Umbrella product.
Benefits to contractors
• The ability to claim back business related expenses, such as travel and subsistence whilst on assignment
• The security of being employed and the advantages this brings (holiday pay, SSP, insurances) but with the flexibility of contracting
• Through being an employee and not in business on own account there is no burden of producing financial paper work or calculating tax
• The support of Human Resources and Health & Safety departments
• Personal accident cover to compensate for periods when unable to work due to an accident on assignment
• Continuous employment which improves credit status
• SMS update service for both payment and receipt of expenses
• Employer contributions to pension
Mechanics of sterling umbrella
• From the monies received from the agency we break down the payment as follows;
• We pay hours worked multiplied by the National Minimum Wage
• Income Tax and Employees NI are deducted
• Sterling pay Employers NI
• Holiday pay @ 12.07% of National Minimum Wage
• Sterling deduct the assignment margin
• Tax free expenses are paid
• Sterling Umbrella pay a bonus if applicable and this is subject to Employees and Employers NI & Income Tax
We’ve taken out the key bits of information regarding our expense claim procedure and what you can claim for.
As a Sterling Umbrella employee you have an overarching contract which allows your various assignments to be treated as temporary work places. This is on the provision that it is your intention to undertake various assignments for the company.
Through Sterling Umbrella employees can claim back expenses related to mileage, travel, subsistence, professional courses, tools, business related phone calls and work clothing that are wholly, exclusively and necessarily for the performance of duties on assignments when working at a temporary workplace.
In order for expenses to be processed each week a completed expense form with original VAT receipts must be sent by post to Sterling Umbrella. New expense forms will be sent out to you each month and additional expense forms can be downloaded from www.thesterlinggroup.co.uk.
Sterling Umbrella requires original VAT receipts that detail the goods/services purchased to ensure that every claim an employee makes is legitimate. Credit/debit card statements or receipts cannot be accepted.
To ensure that claims are processed quickly and accurately employees must;
• Complete all relevant sections on the expense form.
• Include original VAT receipts for all items. Address, landline telephone number and the dates of the stay for any accommodation claims, we
cannot authorise a claim without this information.
• Complete all details on the mileage section (e.g. car details, destination postcodes, dates of journey, worksite and fuel type), if applicable.
• Sign and date the declaration.
• Post the forms to reach Sterling Umbrella two days prior to payday. Expense forms that arrive later than required may not be processed for
payment until the following week.
For further information regarding exactly what can be claimed for and current mileage rates we have Guide to Expenses located on our website which is viewable here.